Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hanging In

According to my baby book (What to Expect When You're Expecting), there's a lot going on with our little one right now. He or she is about the size of a blueberry and new brain cells are being generated at the rate of 100 cells per minute! Also taking shape are baby's mouth and tongue, and the kidneys are now poised to begin their important work of waste management. His or her arm and leg buds are forming, which are beginning to sprout into paddle-like appendages and to divide into hand, arm, and shoulder segments--and leg, knee, and foot segments. My first doctor's appointment is 2 weeks from today and I am so excited to go and start that part of this journey. We may even be able to hear the baby's heartbeat by then! (Hopefully Richard will be able to go with me - I don't think he'll be in California for pre-deployment training yet.) Since my last post, my severe itching has been replaced with all day "morning" sickness. (What a silly thing to call it as it certainly does not apply to only mornings.) I'm trying to stay positive and do everything I can to prevent and quell the queasies but right now the rest of the first trimester sounds like an eternity. I guess we can at least take it as a sign that things are really happening in my not-yet-showing body. :) Thank you, Lord, for this amazing blessing!

No comments: